Cemeteries & Crematoria NSW (CCNSW) has been engaging with Aboriginal people so we can better understand the cultural and spiritual requirements for burial and cremation.
Who are we
CCNSW is a NSW Government agency that:
- supports and regulates the interment industry (cemeteries and crematoria) in NSW
- provides information on burial and cremation options to the public.
What we are working on
An Interment Industry Scheme including:
- Aboriginal cultural and spiritual principles
- guidelines for cemeteries and crematoria on Aboriginal cultural and spiritual requirements
- more clearly listed costs, including all fees and charges
- treating people with respect and proper customer service
Information for mob, including:
- the types of burials available, including options without conventional coffins or caskets
- knowing where to go if you are unhappy with the cemetery or crematorium operator
What about funeral directors and funeral insurance?
CCNSW only regulates cemeteries and crematoria. We don’t regulate funeral directors or funeral insurance. Funeral directors are regulated by NSW Fair Trading and NSW Health. Funeral insurance funds are regulated by Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority (APRA) and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
|Facility Name||Operator Name||Cemetery Address|
|Balranald Aboriginal Cemetery||Balranald Local Aboriginal Land Council||Island Road, Balranald|
|Burra Bee Dee||Coonabarabran Local Aboriginal Land Council||Oxley Highway, Coonabarabran|
|Collarenebri Aboriginal Cemetery||Collarenebri Local Aboriginal Land Council||Gundabloui Road, Collarenebri|
|Cummeragunja Cemetery||Cummeragunja Local Aboriginal Land Council||George St, Moama|
|Fingal Cemetery||Tweed Shire Council||Letitia Road, Fingal Head|
|Bermagui Cemetery||Bega Valley Shire Council||Bleakley Street, Bermagui|
|Murrin Bridge Cemetery||Murrin Bridge Local Aboriginal Land Council||1499 Lachlan Valley Way, Murrin Bridge|
|Mutawintji Thunka||Mutawintji Board of Management||Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Access Rd, Mutawintji|
|Old Goodooga Cemetery||Brewarrina Shire Council||Goodooga Road, Goodooga|
|Tubba-Gah Aboriginal Burial Ground||Dubbo City Council||Burraway Road, Dubbo|
|Walhallow Cemetery also known as Caroona Cemetery||Walhallow Local Aboriginal Lands Council||69 Walhallow Road, Caroona|
|Wallaga Lake Aboriginal Cemetery||Merrimans Local Aboriginal Land Council||Cemetery Point Road, Akolele|
|Wanaaring Aboriginal Burial Ground||Bourke Shire Council||Bourke-Milparinka Road, Wanaaring|
|Warangesda Aboriginal Mission Gravesite||Warangesda Shire Council||Sturt Highway, Darlington Point|
To find other cemeteries, visit our cemetery register.
- Journey to Dreaming Toolkit - Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council of NSW
- This material has been created by Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council of NSW (AH&MRC), please visit their website for more resources www.ahmrc.org.au.
- Wills for Aboriginal people - NSW Trustee & Guardian
- National Guide for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities to Identify and Protect Unmarked Grave and Cemeteries
- The guide aims to provide clear and practical advice to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities across Australia to identify and protect the unmarked graves and burial sites of their ancestors. It was developed by Virtus Heritage in collaboration with the Tweed-Byron LALC and the Mapoon Aboriginal community and funded by the Australian Government.
- Supply Nation
- This organisation allows you to search for verified Indigenous business and may assist if you are looking for interment based services.
- Way to Go report (PDF, 1.9 MB)
- This document gives information on people's views on burials, cremation, funerals and ways to commemorate life.