We are committed to addressing and resolving complaints and questions concerning cemeteries and crematoria, including those on Crown land, local government, private and Church operated.
What is the role of CCNSW?
CCNSW is a NSW Government agency that regulates cemetery and crematorium operators in NSW and provides information on burial and cremation options to the public. CCNSW aims to ensure that all people in NSW have access to sustainable and affordable burial and cremation services that are respectful of culture and faith and provided in a consistent, transparent and accountable manner. CCNSW also has a role in addressing and resolving complaints concerning cemeteries and crematoria, including Crown land, local government, private, church and community-operated cemeteries and crematoria.
What to do if you have a complaint or enquiry?
Firstly, it is recommended that an attempt is made to resolve the issue with the cemetery or crematorium operator directly. If this is unsuccessful, or you are unhappy with the outcome, you can contact CCNSW or NSW Fair Trading, depending on the nature of the issue:
- Contact CCNSW if your complaint relates to the management or maintenance of cemeteries and crematoria, including the purchase of an interment right (a burial site or a location to place ashes) or customer service provided by the cemetery or crematorium operator.
- Contact NSW Fair Trading if your complaint relates to consumer law matters, such as an issue relating to a Funeral Director not providing a service you paid for.
For more information, you can view the fact sheet; What is the difference between a cemetery operator and a funeral director (PDF, 85 KB) which may help you to understand where best to direct your complaint. If you remain unsure as to which agency to lodge your complaint with, please contact CCNSW (contact details are below) and we can assist you.
How to lodge a complaint or make an enquiry
Please contact the cemetery or crematorium operator, first preferably in writing.
If the operator does not resolve your complaint, CCNSW offers a number of ways to lodge a complaint or make an enquiry. You can:
- Lodge a complaint by completing the Lodge a complaint online application
- Make an enquiry by completing the Submit an enquiry online application
- Email [email protected]; OR
- Phone us on 02 9842 8473.
If you are using the web page online form or email, please assist us with handling your complaint or enquiry by including:
- a summary of the issue
- the name and location of the cemetery or crematorium operator; and
- the action or outcome you are seeking.
Please send all relevant attachments with your complaint or enquiry, for example, photographs and any correspondence you have had with the operator, including attempts made to resolve the issue.
Translated information about how to lodge a complaint or make an enquiry is available in six languages below.
Arabic - عربي
Chinese Simplified - 简体中文
Chinese Traditional - 繁體中文
Greek - Ελληνικά
- Υποβοβολή παραπόνων ή ερωτημάτων στην υπηρεσία Νεκροταφείων & Αποτεφρωτηρίων ΝΝΟ (CCNSW) (PDF, 209 KB)
Korean - 한국어
Vietnamese - Tiếng Việt
- Khiếu nại hay thắc mắc đối với Cơ Quan Điều Hành Nghĩa Trang & Lò Hỏa Táng NSW (CCNSW) (PDF, 177 KB)
More information on how CCNSW manages complaints
For more information on our approach to managing complaints, download and view the policy: