The NSW Government has introduced the Interment Industry Scheme as part of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Regulation 2022 – a licensing system for cemetery and crematorium operators.
The scheme will, for the first time, license all operators and set clear standards. Families will know what to expect from cemetery and crematorium operators and can make informed choices.
Key licence conditions relate to:
- consumer contracts – standard terms and conditions explained clearly so customers can understand what they are paying for
- cemetery maintenance – to make sure there are clear minimum standards for every cemetery
- pricing transparency – so customers know what they are purchasing and can easily compare prices
- customer service – to ensure operators are consistently providing quality service
- religious, cultural and spiritual principles– to ensure respect for religious and cultural requirements and promote understanding of the unique importance of Sorry Business to Aboriginal people.
When do operators need to be licensed?
- The scheme will be phased in from July 2023 to October 2024, when all operators must be licensed and compliant.
- Operators will be grouped based on their number of interments for the financial year 2021-22. Each group will be allotted a time frame to apply for a licence.
- We will contact and advise operators of their group and when their licence application period begins.
- The licence conditions will roll out in 3 stages - October 2023, February 2024 and July 2024.
- We will provide support and information for operators throughout the implementation period.
For more information read our fact sheet on Implementation and transition (PDF, 172 KB).
Two recent reviews – the statutory review of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2013 (PDF, 24 MB) and the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal Review of costs and pricing of interment in NSW – recommended significant changes to strengthen the interment sector and protect customers.
Cemeteries & Crematoria NSW have developed the Interment Industry Scheme which addresses the recommendations made by those reviews in relation to strengthening the regulator to provide greater operator accountability, pricing transparency and to better meet the needs of the community.
The Regulations governing the scheme commenced on 14 October 2022.
An important aspect of both reviews relates to perpetual maintenance of cemeteries. We recognise the complexity of the perpetual maintenance issue and have removed these requirements from the first stage of the Interment Industry Scheme. Further consultation with the community and operators is proposed in order to develop a workable and meaningful model to introduce into the scheme at a later date.
The introduction of the scheme follows nearly 2 years of consultation. During the latest stage of consultation, we received 21 formal submissions, 219 survey responses and hundreds of comments provided online and during consultation events. We thank everyone who contributed.
Applying for a licence
- Guide - Cemetery Operator Licensing (PDF)(285.47 KB)
- Example Cemetery Operator Licence Application Form (PDF)(178.57 KB)
- Policy - Cemetery Operator Licence Fees (PDF)(142.62 KB)
- Policy - Review of Decisions (PDF)(143.54 KB)
- Interment industry scheme - cemetery operator licence - categorisation policy (PDF) (156 KB)
- Understanding Category 3 licence conditions (PDF) (180.63 KB)
- Interment Industry Scheme for cremation only operators (PDF) (225.81 KB)
- Guide to the Interment Industry Scheme for funeral directors (PDF) (204.67 KB)
- Caretaker (Category 4) Operators (PDF) (105.81 KB)
Pay for your licence
To pay for your Cemetery Operator Licence using your credit card and licence application number, select the button below:
If you are unable to pay online by credit card contact CCNSW for alternative payment methods at [email protected]
Fees are set by the Cemetery Operator Licence Fee Policy (PDF, 144 KB).
|Current licence application fees|
|Number of interments||Fee|
50 or more interments on average over the last 3 financial years OR
|10-49 interments on average over the last 3 financial years||$400|
|9 or less interments on average over the last 3 financial years||No fee|
|No interments (Caretaker licence)||No fee|
Understanding your licence conditions
- more documents to come